skip navigation
skip to Contents

Family Reunification


Foreigners who are within the country, and who are immediate family members of another person who has been granted a Resident Permit (a Foreign Resident) may apply to be granted a resident permit of the same validity on the grounds of Family Reunification.


The applicant must :

  • Demonstrate family relationship to a relevant Foreign Resident (through production of documents including marriage and/or birth certificates and evidence of the residence of the sponsoring resident)
  • Demonstrate they lived with the foreign resident overseas or that they are dependent upon them
  • Demonstrate sufficient means of subsistence
  • Demonstrate that (s)he does not have a criminal or police record and is of good health.
  • Be physically present in the country

Note : The Migration and Asylum Law defines “family” in this circumstance to mean:

a) The spouse;

b) Dependent or disabled children, and children under the age of 18 years, of the couple, or of one of the spouses.

In the case of a child under the age of 18 years or a disabled child of only one of the spouses, the child shall qualify for family reunification only if he or she is in legal custody of the applicant.

This visa is not available for parents, siblings, cousins or other more distant relatives of Foreign Residents.


Same as the resident permit of the sponsoring foreign resident family member.


Temporary Residence
  • New application – US$40
  • Renewal – US$25
Permanent Residence
  • New application – US$100
  • Renewal – US$25

Application Form

Place of Application

Please note : Resident Permits cannot be applied for or granted on arrival at a border post.

Applications can only be made within Timor Leste
  • Applications must be submitted by persons within the country directly to the Immigration Service in Dili, Timor Leste.

See : Immigration Service contact details.

Where those seeking family reunification are outside the country when the sponsoring foreign resident is granted a Resident Permit, they may enter the country on a Class I (Tourism) visa in order to make the application.

Place of Grant

Immigration Service in Dili, Timor Leste.

See : Immigration Service contact details.