The applicant must :
- Possess a Visa to Establish Residence (where applying for the first resident permit)
- Demonstrate that (s)he does not have a criminal or police record.
- Be physically present in the country
Additional criteria for grant of Permanent Residence :
- Must have been a legal resident in the country for at least 12 consecutive years
- Must not have been sentenced for criminal offences to a prison term(s) that, separately or cumulatively, exceed(s) one year, during the residence period